Wednesday, January 2, 2013

100 pound loser : ebook review

 
 
 
 
This post by Jessica Heights  came across my Facebook feed and I was so very excited. I have been following her blog for a few years and love her spirit of giving and encouraging.
 
 
 
I answered her call to review her book, downloaded and even printed it out in paper form. I then sat down and read it in a matter of under an hour, underlining and making notes and then rereading the whole thing again. She speaks from a place that I have been and a place that I am journeying to. A mother busy with life, and young ones and the ins and outs of living, who was not taking caring of herself. I too, had put my health on the low rung of the ladder and have just recently begun my own 100+ pound losing journey.

To start off, she captured me with her honesty. Only two lines into the book she states, "I didn't write this for you because I have all the answers."  I just knew I was going to enjoy what she had to say because is was coming from such and honest place. I was constantly encouraged by her words that seemed to be familiar, as though I had played them over and over in my head. Oh yeah, because maybe I have - words like "It was always difficult for me to turn down dessert, to skip seconds, and to back away from the Easter candy." - this is me, this is what I struggle with, this is who I am trying to change for the better.

There is so much truth and honesty as I said, in this book about what weight and our body image says about us. The pinnacle point for me, is the statement,"Not only had I abused the body which I was given to use and govern appropriately as a temple of the Holy Spirit{1 Corinthians 6:19}, but.....  .

You will have to read it for yourself, it is a wonderful overview of the struggles we face not just as moms but women, in our 'relationship' with food and our bodies.

Thank you Jessica for being so open and honest and putting into beautiful words the journey that you took so that others can get a glimpse of the possibilities to have a better, healthier, God filled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment