Thursday, November 15, 2012

So Much Information

There is so much, too much, information about the ------
WHAT KIND,
 HOW MUCH,
 WHEN,
IN WHAT ORDER,
 AVOID THIS,
 LOAD UP ON THAT 
---- We should put in our mouths.


Let me start off by saying I personally believe all foods that are of this earth, grown of God's amazing creation are good for us. Let me also say that some things are not good for certain individuals, due to how they were created, whether through allergies or intolerance. I have discovered in the past 3 weeks that Carbs in the form of refined sugars and even in 'good for you' grains make it harder for my body to release weight. So for now I am keeping my carbs low, and enjoying some great proteins and tons of veggies.

Last week as we celebrated my niece's birthday, I ate lots and lots of fruit and yes I had cake, I also fell flat out sugar crashed on Sunday. By Monday I was weening the headache of such an overload, and by Tuesday  my body was begging for water and some protein.

I personally love all things grains (carbohydrates) - crackers, bread, bagels, pasta, chips, rice, chow mien -  you get the idea. I also quite enjoy fruits and vegetables. I have never been a huge protein eater though. I mean I like meat, don't get me wrong, but if I had to choose between pasta and bread or a steak; I would usually take the pasta.

We as Americans,
 I believe have the worst of it when it comes to food issues, 
we have soooooo much we have forgotten to listen to our bodies about 
what, how much and the when of what our bodies really NEED.

I can tell you that I have never been anorexic that goes against my mental and physical love of food. I have at periods of time in high school and early 20's that bulimia was considered, but I am not a good puker. The thought of puking makes me sick and so it was very rare that I would eat enough that I felt binging was the answer.

 I have never been on any formal type of 'dieting' like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, South Beach, Atkins, or the like. My parents were regulars of 'Shake' meal replacement plans. They both yoyoed for years and I 'knew I did not want to be that person', but here I am 40 and morbidly obese.



I became aware of BMI, waist to hip ratios, body shapes (apple, pear, etc.), and "Ideal" body weights pretty early in life. I have know that my BMI has been over 40% for a long time, I know that I am pear shaped and carry my weight in my belly and hips, my hips and waist are not proportionate at all, and I have been Overweight since high school.

Here is a link to finding your own BMI. The article also discusses body types and such.

 I know that 'ideal' weight is not a 'must achieve' goal, we all carry weight so differently. What I do know is that my body longs to be under 175. I am 15 pounds down and looking forward to my next goal of being down another 15 by December 31st. That would put me at 271, with just a little over 100 to go for my goal weight of 150 by October 2013.

I am grateful to have so many people watching this journey and encouraging me, I would also love to invite you to encourage those in your life that like me struggle with their body image and their health. I am thankful for the love of my family and friends, and for the kindness of all those who are reading along here.


I have only joined a gym 2 times in the past 18 years and truth be told I would go because I was paying for it, but I had only minimal results because I only put in minimal effort. I also do not like to sweat -- but I love my time at Yoga Hot Spot. I feel alive when the hour is over and my body has responded to well to heat and movement of every joint and muscle in my body. I am blessed beyond belief to be on this journey and thankful to have found the right thing for my body and soul that make me long to better myself. I know that the Lord has had more for me for years and I am amazed at his timing.

Thanks for stopping by and if you can take time to follow the page and leave a comment. Here is the link to My 1 Year Journey page on FaceBook, please feel free to like and share it as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment